There are many advantages to the use of biometrics to manage cashless systems:
- Improving dignity for children in receipt of free school meals.
- No need for young people to carry cash, which can be lost, stolen or misspent.
- Reduction in queuing time.
- Better monitoring to reduce food waste.
There are also legitimate concerns about the use of biometric data, therefore:
- Data security is given a high priority in the school and local authority.
- No biometric (fingerprint) images will ever be stored or retained.
- Information will not be sold, distributed or leased to any third party.
- All children retain a legal opt-out right.
You can read more about privacy here.